Lutheran Grade School Band Program
The goal of this band program is to provide individual lessons for students in their chosen instrument and to give them a group band experience with students of similar abilities. There will also be encouragement and opportunities for students to use their talents to serve their Lord in worship settings at school and in their congregation.
- Provide and keep an instrument in good repair for the student. Instruments can be purchased or rented. Rental instruments are available from West Lutheran High School for an annual fee.
- Provide the necessary supplies needed to maintain the student’s instrument (eg. reeds, slide oil, cork grease, etc.)
- Purchase lesson books from the instructor as needed for the student
- Encourage regular practice at home
- Work with the band instructor to foster a good band experience for their student
- Provide space for individual and group band lessons
- Provide chairs and music stands, if available
- Work with the instructor to plan times for group band lessons
- Work with the instructor to plan band performances
- Make accommodations for students to miss classes for lessons and/or group band
- Inform the instructor of the school year schedule for lesson planning purposes
- Work with the instructor to schedule make-up lessons when necessary
West Lutheran High School Rental program
- Bring instrument, lesson books, and band music to each lesson
- Practice between lessons: at least 5 days a week for at least 20 minutes each day
- Be willing to learn
- Keep a good attitude
A limited number of instruments are available to rent through West. Please let the instructor know if you are interested in a rental instrument.
Lesson Books and Music
- There is a one-time $100 deposit for rental of instrument.
- The instrument needs to be returned in similar working order.
- $50 annual rental fee payable to West Lutheran (may be paid in increments)
- The deposit is for entering the rental program. It is returned when instrument is returned or the student exits the rental program. There is no fee to change instruments being rented. The deposit is one-time regardless of how long a student is in the program.
The instructor will purchase lesson books for the students as needed. The student’s parents will be billed for the purchased lesson books. Group music will be provided to the students. Some individual music may be available to borrow. Lost music or lesson books will be replaced and any replacement costs will be billed to the parents.
Lesson Fee Schedule
Lesson fees are due at the first lesson of each month or can be paid in full at the beginning of the school year.
||Monthly Rate (Sep-May)
Individual lessons will be 20 minutes long and will be scheduled during the school day. Instrument lessons available are flute, clarinet, saxophone, trumpet or cornet, trombone and percussion. Group band times will be scheduled with each school and will be announced at the start of the school year. The goal is for each student to have at least 30 individual lessons each school year. Make-up lessons will be scheduled for lessons missed due to school vacations or closings. Lessons missed due to illness will be made up as time allows. Any lesson missed due to a forgotten instrument will not be rescheduled.
There will be concert performances throughout the school year. The performances will be announced as soon as they are determined. Students will be encouraged to participate in the individual instrument performances at the Twin Cities Fine Arts Festival at St. Croix Lutheran High School. If numbers allow, a group band performance may be held at the Twin Cities Fine Arts Festival as well.